Durham Days of Giving – Day 6
Thank you for supporting the Durham Days of Giving!
Welcome to Day 6 and today’s charity is Luke’s Place.
About Luke’s Place
Luke’s Place Support & Resource Centre for Women & Children is an award-winning non-profit centre of excellence devoted to improving the safety and experience of women and their children as they proceed through the complex family court system after fleeing an abusive relationship. We provide direct services to hundreds of women and their children every year and share our expertise with thousands of service providers through training programs, resources, tools, research, and mentoring.
Mission and Vision
Luke’s Place mission is to work with women who have been subjected to abuse to support them and their children through the family law process. We provide women, their children, and their communities with specialized services, resources and information about family law and woman abuse. Luke’s Place envisions a family law system that promotes healthy, safe families, living free from abuse and the threat of abuse.
Luke’s Place provides direct services to women in the Durham Region and is a leader in its systemic work across the province.
- We provide individualized support to women who have been subjected to abuse to navigate the family law system as safely as possible
- We work with women one on one and in group settings, including peer support groups and workshops
- We engage with and support family law lawyers in our community, which enhances both our work and the work they do in private practice or other settings.
- We develop and maintain specialized resources online and in print for use by women who have been subjected to abuse and their advocates
- We develop and provide education and training to those working in a number of sectors including violence against women service providers, lawyers, police, court personnel and others.
- We engage in advocacy and consultation with a wide range of institutions and organizations, including government.
- We conduct research related to women’s experiences of the family law system and on the intersections between violence against women and the law/legal systems
This past year, Luke’s Place supported 1,000 abused women and their children, more than ever before in our history, with legal support services.